News - October 2010
Oral Motor Activities You Can Do With Your Child
by Cheryl Mallernee
There are a number of games and activities that you can do with your child that will help with oral awareness, strength and coordination. These activities can be fun and easy to do!
- Blow through a straw into water to make bubbles
- Blow bubbles with different sized bubble makers
- Blow cotton balls through a straw – have a cotton ball race!
SUCKING. Drink thicker items through a straw
- Milkshake/Fruit Smoothie
- Pudding (you may want to add milk to make it a little smoother)
- Even regular drinks
- Suck small marshmallows up onto the bottom of a straw and transport them to a bowl/cup nearby (6 inches to a foot away)
MAKE FUNNY FACES
- Puff out your cheeks
- Fish face – suck your cheeks in and wiggle your lips
- Blow kisses
- Smile big (“eeeee”) and then protrude lips (“uuuuuuu”)
- Move tongue around inside and outside of your mouth to be silly (e.g. push in cheeks, stick out, move side to side, move up and down)
Have fun with these games and next time I will have some activities you can do with food!